Thursday, September 25, 2008

Baltimore Book Festival!

I'm headed out tomorrow, sans kids & permanent sweetheart. 3 nights in a city where two dear girlfriends live, one of them being China, with whom I will fully enjoy a rare weekend and again, share the mic with our books. If you're around, please do come on down!

From the Radical Book Pavilion at the 2008 Baltimore Book Festival schedlue of speakers: (Click on the title above, or paste this link into your browser - redemmas.org/bookfair/)

Check out the entire roster! (Looks like the place to be for me.)

3pm: China Martens (The Future Generation, Atomic Books) and Jessica Mills (My Mother Wears Combat Boots, AK Press) on alternative parenting

Social justice movements often challenge us to create personal and social change but often provide no support for parents, mothers especially, who try to do so. Let's learn how to work together in new ways. By valuing the involvement/work of parents and caretakers; and including the voices/needs of children we form a more vibrant culture of resistance as we work towards a more equitable future. Jessica Mills and China Martens read from their latest books, and facilitate a discussion on social justice and community support for families. Parents, non-parents, and children are all welcome, and encouraged to attend! Coloring book zines and crayons will be handed out! More info: My Mother Wears Combat Boots | The Future Generation

2 comments:

Faith Void said...

I am so sad to miss this. It is an unfortunate coincidence that the baby's birthday is that day.
Best mama wishes xxx

Lester Spence said...

Jessica I asked the first question at you and China's panel. I'm pretty sure I'm going to blog about it, and link back to you, but I wanted to say that I'm glad I got a chance to see you (wish i'd have seen China's presentation). We have some differences, but you've really made me think. Be well.